Back-end Development and Web Programming
Let's try to understand back-end development using a simple case (programming of an internet store). Here are the standard user actions followed by the application's responses:
- Open Catalog - database query; display the data;
- Proceed to Checkout - according to the algorithm, the system counts the shipping price, estimated discount, and clarifies the user's info.
- Online Payment - the client is offered to use one of the available online payment methods.
- Request a Callback - contact info of the potential client is passed over to a manager for further feedback.
- Open Order History - database query using API; display the data.
As you can see, there's some serious automatization of various processes behind the demonstration of pleasant pictures. In short, back-end experts develop the core of an app, integrate it into different platforms, and ensure an uninterrupted connection between the server and third-party applications.
Back-End Development is Not Just a Code!
Long gone are the times when back-end developers only did the coding. In the modern world, it's not enough to have comprehensive knowledge of programming languages to be considered as an expert. Any smart student from the top university can code well but is that all? The back-end development includes the following:
- Component settings;
- Improving the quality of inner services;
- Introduction of new frameworks;
- Adoption of new algorithms;
- Coordination with front-end and database experts;
- Server monitoring;
- Integration with the newer versions of third-party applications;
- Quality control of the system's architecture;
- Performance improvement.
These are just the basic activities of a quality programmer, not a full list of back-end developer's duties. An experienced developer combines the skills of a coder, engineer, and designer. Competence, reaction to unexpected